Let’s be honest, building a custom home is exciting and fun. You get to choose everything you’ve always wanted in a home, and when it’s done, it’s exactly what you’ve wanted, from a media room and a sauna to a swimming pool or a huge luxury kitchen with an island. As you enter your retirement years, you are deciding where you want to live and what home you want to spend the rest of your life in. Now is the time to partner with a local home building contractor in order to have a home that is comfortable and one that you can age in. After all, you’ve sacrificed a lot to get here. Why not have the best in your Golden Years. By partnering with a home building contractor, your choices are unlimited.
UrbanLUX Builders builds custom homes in many communities in San Antonio. We have a wide variety of styles and models to choose from, all available to your specifications. Below, we’ll discuss tips on choosing a custom home for retirement and some of the benefits of doing so. Contact us today to get started!
MORE TIPS TO CHOOSE A CUSTOM HOME IN SAN ANTONIO FOR RETIREMENT
This is perhaps the leading factor in choosing a retirement home. Many people want to live closer to family when they retire. Some want to live in warmer climates so they can enjoy the outdoors more and say good riddance to snow shoveling. However, for many, staying near where they live is important. Everything is familiar, and they know their way around. Many want to stay in the same state, just move to a different town or community.
San Antonio is a great place to retire. The weather is warm most of the year, and the state is beautiful. There is so much to see and do in Texas that you’ll never be bored. UrbanLUX Builders has many custom homes in communities surrounding San Antonio, including Boerne, Monteola in Bulverde, and The Canyons at Scenic Loop in the Texas Hill Country. These popular communities offer all of the amenities you need on a daily basis with San Antonio nearby for all of your big city needs. Contact us today to get started!
Luxuries You’ve Always Wanted
- Kitchen. Many people dream of a big kitchen in order to entertain friends and family and to have a comfortable Thanksgiving meal in. By partnering with a home building contractor, you can design the kitchen exactly to your specifications, from a kitchen island with a built-in bookshelf for your cookbooks to recess lighting underneath your kitchen cabinets and a wine cabinet with the spices easily accessible. You’ve waited a long time for this; make it what you’ve always wanted.
- Hot tub. Many people have always wanted a hot tub, which can be incredibly beneficial especially if you suffer from arthritis or other joint and muscle aches and pains. Hot tubs are relaxing and are great places to hang out with friends and family. Many people opt for a jetted tub in place of a hot tub in their bathroom as their dream amenity.
- Entertainment room. Many people have always wanted their own home entertainment system, complete with surround sound, a huge TV or projector system, and luxurious chairs to eat popcorn in and watch a movie. Some people love to play pool or cards and now have the space to set up such a system.
- Smart home. Utilizing technology has made our lives easier, so why stop as you age? When you invest in a custom home in San Antonio, you can have it decked out in the latest and greatest Smarthome technology. From using your phone to unlock your doors to controlling the temperature, the lights, and the alarm system, your custom home can be made even easier to live in.
- Guest rooms. While you’ve been looking forward to retiring, you still want to have friends and family come to visit you. Having a comfortable space that ideally is somewhat separate from the house so that your family can come and stay for longer periods of time is possible with custom homes from UrbanLUX Builders in San Antonio. With guest rooms having their own restrooms and on the upper story of your home or on the opposite side of the house, your guests won’t feel like they are intruding as much and will stay longer. Finished basements are a possibility as well. Add in a separate media center and your guests will be especially content.
Little Things That Make a Big Difference
Many small design features that don’t cost a whole lot can be easily incorporated into a custom home in San Antonio. These features just make your home easier and safer to live in as you age. Some of these little things that can make a big difference in the comfort of your home include:
- Lighting. As we age, our eyesight worsens. Thus, having enough light to see by is important for safety reasons. With a home building contractor, adding in dimmer switches on all the lights in your room, built-in night lights, recess lighting on the stairs, and lots of light on the exterior of your home is easy. This also increases the value of your home.
- Walk-in showers. One design feature that is important is not only having a separate tub and shower for your five piece master bathroom, but also ensuring the shower is a walk in shower. As you age, trips, slips, and falls are more common. Preventing them is key.
- Taller countertops and sinks. We discussed in our last blog post about incorporating pull-out shelving in your home to eliminate the need to bend over or stoop. You can also help eliminate that need by installing taller countertops and sinks, especially if you are tall to begin with.
- Lever handles on doors. As we age, our hands also don’t work quite as well. Lever handles are easier to open and don’t require any grip strength to work them as opposed to regular door handles. These are great for those with arthritis.
- Any other limitations. If you have a medical condition that makes any activity in your home hard to accomplish, investing in a custom home is your chance to eliminate that problem. Take a careful look around your current home, and think about activities you purposely avoid because of the hassle involved. This will help you when speaking to your home building contractor.
WHY CHOOSE URBANLUX AS YOUR SAN ANTONIO CUSTOM HOME BUILDER
San Antonio is a wonderful place to call home. Located in south-central Texas, San Antonio has a rich cultural heritage. Founded as a Spanish mission in 1718, it is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States. It has many of the amenities a retiree is seeking, such as a great climate, a safe area, a thriving economy, and many cultural attractions. From golfing to boating, your problem will be deciding what to do in San Antonio!
No longer must you automatically enter a retirement home community or a nursing home when you get older. With modern medicine and health awareness, you could live comfortably and easily in your home a lot longer than previously thought, especially if you have a home building contractor build you a custom home designed to allow you to not only age in place, but one that is tailored to your specific needs and wants.
UrbanLUX Builders has many amazing homes and floor plans in our communities near San Antonio. From The Overlook at Boerne to Monteola and Woodridge Homes, we’ve got a dream home just for you. Our floor plans and townhomes would be perfect as retirement homes. We invite you to come and visit our communities and take a tour of our model homes. You will be blown away by the luxury available, and then we can show you in depth the possible customizations you will be needing. In the meantime, reach out to us via our website to learn more!